We hope you love the products we recommend! Just so you know, Men with Kids may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
Knowing when to get a smartphone for your kid isn’t exactly written in stone. It can be hard to gauge when is a good time. Cellphone manufacturers have picked up on this though, and have started producing smartphones that are designed just for children. This means that almost any age is a good time to start since you don’t have to go straight to buying them a normal Android or Apple phone.
If you’re looking for a phone for your child that is age-appropriate, then you’re in the right place. Below we have 10 of the best phones for kids, all organized according to age. Let’s get started!
Cellphones for Kids Under 10
Younger kids’ cell phones are simpler than you’d expect. Some of these best phones for kids wouldn’t even qualify as “phones” for some people, thanks to how basic they are! Nevertheless, these five phones are perfect choices for children that will likely only need the basic functions of talking and listening.
- Small and portable design
- Only three buttons
- GPS tracking functionality
- SOS Alerts
- Android and iOS app for Adults
- Functions like a walkie-talkie from the kids’ end
- Similar to a smartphone but designed for young ages
- Comes with several simple apps, including flashlight and phone book
- 2-way calls are easy to make
- Wristwatch design makes it hard to lose
- SIM card included
- Great for ages 6 and under
- Great traditional cellphone for kids
- Works as a fantastic starter cellphone
- Contains FM radio and an MP3 player
- Rear camera
- For slightly older kids aged 8-10 who want a realistic looking phone
- Very small size
- Comes with a wrist strap
- Built-in GPS and Bluetooth
- Durable casing makes it hard to damage if dropped
- Runs on Android 8.1 OS
- Programmable Keys and Facial/Fingerprint ID
Cellphones for Kids Over 10
Teens and pre-teens are old enough to handle the responsibility of more sophisticated devices. These five phones will be more like your typical cellphone or smartphone, but with fewer features. Here are the best phones for kids, ages 11 and up:
- 1080p resolution
- An ample amount of RAM and processing power
- MicroSD card support for extra storage
- 5.2 inch LED screen
- Stylish modern look perfect for young teens
- High-quality screen with vibrant colors
- Longer battery life than an average device
- Great introductory smartphone
- Tough metal framing makes it hard to break
- Camera UI has many alternate modes and features
- 32gb of memory storage
- Cheaper than many other LG models
- Android 8.0 OS
- 2K resolution
- Quad-core processor
- Great battery life
- Stylish glossy finish
- Cheaper but good value model
- Super Amoled display
- 16gb of memory and microSD card slot
- “Easy Mode” feature for more visible icons and simpler navigation
The Benefits of Kids Having a Cellphone
A lot of people still wonder to this day if kids can handle the complexity of modern day phones. Many are still debating precisely at what age a child should receive a cellphone or smartphone.
The fact of the matter is that kids these days are growing up and interacting with technology from very young ages. Children are learning how to use laptops, tablets and play with sophisticated video games from ages as young as 4. With this level of knowledge for electronics, it seems as though they can manage using a cellphone, such as the devices we’ve listed.
Having your child own a cell phone comes with a lot of benefits. The most obvious ones are being able to stay in contact at all times and being able to call for help in the event of an emergency.
Cellphones are also a big part of how children are socializing these days. If kids aren’t talking in an online chat-room then they’re probably calling or texting one another. It’s very common for friends to stay in touch outside of school, so having a phone will be beneficial overall.
If it’s not the time for a laptop yet then its definitely time to figure out what sports your kids will be in this school year, check out which ones might be the right fit for them HERE!